There is food that tastes nice, there is food that looks good and there is the best food: food that tastes nice and looks good. The Vegetarian Sizzler at Fatima’s Restaurant in Agonda (India) belongs to the last category. If I have guests here I always take them out to Fatima’s and treat them on a vegetarian sizzler. If I don’t have guests, I just get one myself every now and then.
The vegetarian Sizzler at Fatima’s is a big combination of everything. Precisely what I like. I think that’s why I love Spain so much: the tapas. Trying out a lot of different things. Whenever I eat out with people I always try to find somebody at the table who wants to share a meal, so we can choose two dishes and try them both.
The vegetarian Sizzler is a beautiful plate with cabbage underneath, grilled tomatoes, carrots, beans and potatoes on the long side of the plate, French fries and rice on the other. On top of the rice is always a beautiful veggie burger with an Indian sauce.
Veggie burgers can be made with chickpeas, black beans, white beans, potatoes, lentils, and pretty much any other vegetable that can be mashed and formed into a patty. They’re delicious, but fragile. I like to ‘clue’ everything together with an egg. It isn’t necessary, but it helps. At the end I dip my veggie burger in bread crumbs and baked it.
At Fatima’s they use a special plate to serve the burger on. It’s a wooden plate, with in the middle a ‘hot’ stone. You can use any other oven dish as well. Preferably with a wooden cutting board underneath.
Ingredients vegetarian Sizzler
- French fries
- Carrots *
- Corn flower
- Beans *
- Lentils *
- Any other vegetables you like in your burger *
- Bread crumbs
- Capsicum powder
- Cabbage *
Preparation Vegetarian Sizzler
- Place your oven dish in the oven and heat to oven to 200 degrees. Do this first, before you do anything else. You want your dish to be extremely hot.
- Chop the vegetables (*) you want to have in your veggie burger as small as you can. You can use a kitchen machine to help you. Place them in a mixing bowl, add 1 or 2 eggs and mix everything together. Add a bit of corn flower and make a solid bowl. Flatten the bowl in a burger shape and cover both sides with corn flower. Let it rest in the fridge for a while.
- Prepare the rice the way you normally do.
- Prepare the French fries the way you normally do.
- Take a few big cabbage leaves and boil them a few minutes.
- Slice tomatoes, carrots, mushrooms and bake them in a frying pan. If you want you can add some more vegetables.
- Fry the vegetable burger.
- Melt some butter, add in ginger, turmeric, pepper, salt, curry powder and some corn flower to make a tick gravy.
- Take a big piece of aluminum foil that covers your oven dish. Place the cabbage on it and on top of the cabbage you place the fried vegetables, rice and French fries. On top of the rice you place vegetable burger. Pour some gravy over the burger.
- Now to make it sizzle. Take a bit of sugar and some butter. Make little balls out of it. Get the oven dish out of the oven (very hot; be careful), place some of the butter/sugar balls on/in it and place your aluminum foil with vegetables on top. If correct your sugar/butter balls will sizzle and steam.