Medjool dates are my favorite candies. I eat them just the way they are, but also use them for almost everything: as a crust for pies, as filling for baked apples, to make chocolate cakes with or oatmeal chunks. This time I used them to make Power Date Balls.
It wasn’t really a coincidence I made them this time. The week before Laura came over and brought some home-made ones as a treat for by the AcroYoga. A few days later I was teaching Arm balances at Rasalila in Amsterdam and Esther Hertog, whom I was teaching alongside with, bought same as a nice snack for after class. So I thought it was time to make some of my own. Real power ones. It’s really, really easy.
Ingredients for Power Date Balls
- Medjool dates (make sure they are nice and soft
- Raw cacao beans (well, I like this in it) or cacao powder
- Protein powder
- Almonds (or other nuts)
- Grounded ginger
- Grounded cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Grated (and dried) coconut and/or hemp seeds
Preparation Power Date Balls
- Roast the cacao beans and peel them
- Remove the pits from the dates
- Throw the dates, cacao beans and almonds in the kitchen machine up until they are roughly chopped
- Add the rest and mix
- Make balls out of the date-mix and roll them through the grated coconut or hemp seeds
It’s hard to resist them, so go and try one, but leave the rest for the next day. The taste will be better, because overnight the flavors of the different ingredients will blend more. I normally store them in the fridge.